I think it’s safe to say that I know the most about computers in the platoon. There are some that do know a lot. For the most part if someone has a computer issue, or just an issue with technology in general, they come to me. It’s know that I am the computer guy.
So the other day I was looking at the process that we use for our job. It’s a lot of log sheets that no one looks at, and just all around redundant process. And I was thinking to myself, if we had a program that could track and automate a lot of what we do things could run more efficiently. I kept thinking about and thinking I could create the program to do this. I may not be a programmer anymore but for some reason I still think like one.
And then one day, I sitting with my 2IC (2nd In Command) and I started to talk to him about it. Partly because I wanted to see what he thought and partly because I like to let people know just how smart I can be (hey we all have egos, don’t judge me). I was expecting a reaction of “Oh yah, that’s interesting (you’re weird and I have no idea what your talking about)”. But instead I got, “really! That would be awesome. And you could do that?” Anyone who works IT can relate, this is the moment where you think to yourself, “Oh crap, what have I gotten myself into?”
They loved the idea so much that it’s getting passed up the chain of command faster then I’ve ever seen information pass in the army. Everybody is loving the idea, even if they don’t fully understand what it is that I want to do.
I’m still waiting to hear back on if we can get the resources to do this. And I really hope that I can deliver. It’s been a long time since I’ve done some serious programming. Programming and computers in general are kind of like the mob, “every time I try to get out, they keep pulling me back in.” And Mom your wish is coming true, “maybe you should try using you computer knowledge in the army”, maybe not what you had in mind.
2 comments:
Hi John,
Sounds very interesting and I hope that it pans out. Read your blog before but couldn't comment cause I didn't know how. Stephanie is here so she will help me. She came to the city to see a specialist who would turn the baby because it is breech but he couldn't do it. So she going back to Brandon and having a C-section in the nest 2 wks. We had a great time in Egypt but was very hot so I can relate what you're going thru.( Although we weren't wearing all the army gear.)Tell me you're email address so we can write to you.
Hi John -
You do not know me at all, but I am a friend of your mother's, and I have been following your blog with interest.
Perhaps when your mom suggested you use your computer skills in the army, she was just hoping you could stay out of the line of fire.
We're all hoping that. Stay safe, John -
Pamela
Post a Comment