Thursday, November 26, 2009

Outside The Wire

I haven’t been making any posts A. because there hasn’t been that much to write about and B. I haven’t had that much time.

Once I got back to CNS I started back into my shifts. So there really wasn’t much time for anything. Day shift you get up you start work, 12hrs later you finish, you eat, shower, bed, and the repeat the next morning. When you switch to nights normally you end up with 24hrs off. But instead we went out and did a quick patrol before we started out 12 hrs of nights.

The patrol was kind of a nice change. It was my first time really being outside the wire (what is referred to when you leave the camp). So I got to see everything that I had been looking at from my post I got to see up close. We walked through the streets and met with some locals, and checked up on some local police check points.

For the most part people just give you blank stairs. It’s nothing new to them. They’ve been seeing soldiers for the better part of the last 6 years. But when you ask them “How are you?” in their language their domineer changes. They’ll let out a smile, and they seem to relax a little. They can see that you’re making an effort. Most of the time it makes them laugh to hear us trying to speak their language.

So it was nice to get outside these walls. See something different. And as time goes on I’m sure I’ll be doing a lot more of it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just wanted to say hi. Hope everything is going good out there.

Steph