I saw for the first time the world that surrounds me. There is such a vast difference from on side of the wall to the other. Inside is like a paradise, all your wants are provided for, outside you can see the struggle of what most would consider poverty, where they struggle for the basic needs. The steady stream of locals that depend on us for employment poor through the gates each morning. It makes me wounder what kind of vacuum of unemployment we will leave when we do finally pull out.
Working with some of the locals I find that there is a distinct difference in work ethic. There's seem to be, how can one put it gently, a slower pace. Some people call if Afghan time. There is a saying in Pashtu "Inshallah", which translates to "God willing". When someone asks you to do something you might say, "I'll get to it inshallah." This is how things work. Very interesting.
A very eye opening day, an eye opener of a day. We shall see just how open this tour makes them.
2 comments:
What a culture shock! It must be strange witnessing such a different way of life. It will be interesting to see some of the similarities you have with them despite the cultural differences.
Love you, take care,
Michelle
Hey Stranger! Quite the adventure you are on. Stay Safe. I'll be checking your blog eveyday.
Trisha
Post a Comment