Monday, November 16, 2009

New Location, New Languange

So I’ve spent a few days now in a new location. I’m still doing the same job as before just in a different location in Kandahar. And I’m not here for long, I’ll be heading back to CNS, but I’ll get opportunities to return.

This place is a lot smaller and there are only a few of us here. But we are augmented by a private security firm. The guys that do security here are pretty cool. They’re all Afghanis, mostly from the north. They’re a very professional group of guys and they like to joke around and have fun, so it makes the shift go by fast.

All of the private security guys speak Farsi. So now I’m learning a fourth language.  I don’t know if my head can hold all that information. I already find myself mixing between Farsi and Pashto. Just like the guys at CNS they enjoy helping me learn their language.

I’m going to try to see if I can get my hands on a learn Farsi and learn Pashto books. I think having a dedicated book that I can learn from and write notes in will be me retain it better. Right now I’m writing down notes in my memo pad and they’re all over the place and hard to reference.

My goal right now is to be able to hold a conversation with someone that doesn’t speak any English. It might be a hefty goal but I think it’s doable.

No comments: